Saturday, June 9, 2012

Writing: Alternate Realities and Fiction Verses Non-Fiction

This is my post for Day 9 of the Author Blog Challenge.



Rainbow unicorn delusional quote sm
 
 
If your book is fiction, how could you change it to make it a nonfiction book? If your book is nonfiction, what could you do to turn it into a story? Hollywood has done it (What to expect When You’re Expecting; He’s Just Not That Into You), so how could you do the same thing?

Several of the books I am writing are fiction. I really don't see how any of them could become nonfiction, unless we lived in an alternate reality where vampires, werewolves, fairies and other mythical creatures existed. I fn this were the case, I suppose I would be writing non-fiction book swith titles such as "How to avoid being eaten by vampires or turning into one" or "How to date a werewolf" or "How to begin living a magical life in the world of the fae."  But we don't live in that alternate reality, so my stories will continue to be fiction.

My non-fiction book about living a healthy lifestyle, titled Skinny Dreaming (after my blog of that name) could become a fiction story if it was based around a woman trying to lose weight and change her life, but I'd probably have to throw some humorous encounters and a romance in there somewhere to make it more interesting as a fiction piece. (And the character would have to be very different from me as I am not very funny.)

But the truth is, neither my fiction stories or my non-fiction book are meant to be anythign other than what they are. And that's how I like them.