Friday, June 8, 2012

Initiative

This is my post for Day 3 of the 15 Habits of Great Writers challenge.


15 habits of great writers day 3 initiate
 
The challenge: Choose yourself. Then, I want you to start something you’re scared of.

I am already doing this. Joining a critique group was scary. Letting others read my stories (in the critique group and here on the blog) was scary.  Submitting my stories to competitions was scary. Letting my family read my stories was scary. (I have a lot of writers in my immediate family.) Letting my friends read my stories was scary.

I promised myself that I would spend this year writing, improving my writing and sharing my writing.  Until this year, I never shared my writing with anyone, with the exception of my blog posts. I was too afraid that my writing wasn't worthwhile and that people would think less of me because I wasn't good enough.  I still struggle with self-doubt. I still think, when someone makes a nice comment about something I wrote, that they might just be trying to be kind.

I know I still have a lot to learn when it comes to my writing. I want my novels published and out there already, but I know they aren't ready yet. That's why I have started writing short stories. Some of my short stories are better than others, but I am sharing them and finding out what people think, and, hopefully, learning something about my writing in the process.


And the best part about all of this writing and sharing of my writing is that I am starting to find my voice.

No comments: