Thursday, June 7, 2012

Believing

This is my post for Day 2 of the 15 Habits of Great Writers challenge.

15 habits of great writers Day 2 believe
 

The Day 2 challenge for the 15 Habits of Great Writers (Day 2) is to get up 2 hours earlier so I can spend the extra time writing. That's completely impractical for me, because I get up when my children do, which tends to be around 5:00am, but ion the rare occasions that I wake up before the children, the very instant they hear me up and about, they get up too. In fact, it doesn't matter how quiet I am as I step out of my room, my youngest seems to have a built-in sensor that alerts him the moment my eyes have opened.
 
So I've decided on a compromise. I rarely get time away from the children to write, and the whole point of getting up 2 hours earlier than normal would be to give me uninterrupted writing time. So, with that in mind, I am taking my eldest daughter's offer and letting her take me out to Starbuck's for coffee and a marathoin writing session. (She's participating in Camp NaNoWriMo right now.)


I'm sure I will be able to carve out two hours of quiet and concentrated writing time from this.


The thing is, I already believe in myself as a writer. Yes, I have moments of weakness and self-doubt, but even when I doubt myself, I know that, as long as I keep at it, I will eventually achieve my writing goals. So I have been regularly carving time out from each day to spend writing.


Sometimes, my children interrupt me. Sometimes my husband starts to feel left out because I spend my free time writing. Usually, my housework doesn't get completed. But I have a goal and I know, from the experience of losing over 145 pounds of excess fat, that as long as I keep working at my goal and keep it as a priority, I will succeed.


So yes, I believe.


Do you?

3 comments:

Julie Rowan-Zoch said...

Yes! I believe anyone can do what they want if they want to. And each time we achieve something believing becomes easier. You are an inspiration to all around you - those lucky kids!

Marina Sofia said...

You are amazing! I will never ever dare complain again that I don't have time, with only 2 kids (although they too tend to wake up whenever I wake up, no matter how much I tip-toe around). Well done for taking part in Jeff Goins' challenge, I am too (and I never do challenges normally, probably because of fear of failure). Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Jo Michaels said...

Of course I believe! You GO Mom! I have five kids myself. Finding time is like finding a specific needle in a stack of needles: painful, irritating, but always rewarding. :) WRITE ON!