Saturday, June 9, 2012

Practice

This is my post for Day 4 of the 15 Habits of Great Writers challenge.

15 habits of great writers day 4 practice

"The challenge
Find a way to practice in public. Here are a few ideas:
  • Pitch a magazine you want to write for. Follow some of the templates in You Are a Writer. This article might help, too.
  • Ask a friend (or stranger) to guest post on his/her blog. Here’s another useful post.
  • Publish something on your blog you’ve never shared with anyone. Take a risk (we’ll be doing more of this soon).
  • Submit that book proposal. Don’t “work on it.” Finish it. Send it off. And say a little prayer."


These suggestions aren't things I can do overnight. But here is the plan.


I haven't really been considering writing for magazines much lately. I already write for a monthly publication, but as that is only monthly, it wouldn't hurt for me to research which magazines would be a good fit for my writing style and pitch to them. I already have some ideas for topics.


Anyone want me to guest post on their blog? Give me a topic and I'll come up with something! (that would fulfill idea number 2 above, and I must admit, I like to guest post on others' blogs as it opens my writing style up to the scrutiny of a different segment of people.


I can not think of what I could share here that I have never shared with anyone. Those of you who know me on Twitter and Facebook may have noticed that I talk a lot. I am not really a very private person and have no problem sharing pretty much everything about my life. The only thing I really never talk about is my first marriage. (It was a disaster and feels like a different life now.)

My novels are not complete. I am writing daily in order to complete them, but they still have a long way to go. Only one of them was finished, and after sneding it off for edits, I have found that it needs a lot more writing done on it. I have researched a place that will let me submit the first five pages of my unfinished manuscript though and will be doing this as soon as I have completed the edits on those pages. (They have to be as good as I am capable of making them!)


And since this part of the challenge is supposed to be about practicing in public, I have decided to link to some older posts of mine that I believe are worth reading, even though many of them are from different blogs of mine.

Teaching Our Children to Have the Courage to Dream

Ten Ways to Inspire Your Child to Write

The Courage to Dream

Finding Magic In Everyday Life

Kick Self-Doubt to the Curb

Ten Things Children Can Teach Us About Staying Active

Number One Tip for Making Your Dreams Come True

How to Keep Fairy Magic Alive for Your Children

We Need to Be Healthy for our Kids

You Are Beautiful NOW!

Making Choices

Dads, How Are You Raising Your Princesses?

Prince Charming?

You've Lost Your Muchness

See the World Through Fairy Eyes

Why We Need to Believe In a Bit of Fairy Magic

Feel free to read one or all of the posts. They are posts found on my author blog, my health and fitness blog, my princess blog and my fairy blog. If you decide to read any of the posts, please leave me a comment!

No comments: