Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Brand

This is my post for Day 14 of the 15 Habits of Great Writers challenge.


15 Habits of Great Writers Day 14 Brand


"The challenge


Brand yourself. There are three elements of every brand that you need to pay attention to — spend some time today tightening up each of these:

  • Name. This is what you call yourself (e.g. Copyblogger or Anne Lamott). It may be your given name or a pseudonym or something else, but you need to be consistent. Make sure your website, business cards, and social media properties all say the same thing.
  • Image. This can be a logo or a headshot. It’s whatever you want to use to make people recognize you and your work. If it’s a photo of you, make sure people would recognize you in real life if they’re seeing it on the Internet. Also, make sure it’s on your blog, Twitter profile, etc. Don’t use different images; make them all the same.
  • Voice. This is how you sound. It’s your style and personal flair as a communicator.

I have several blogs, and I have tried to create a brand for each one of them. There is my most successful one, Skinny Dreaming.  There is this blog, Imagine! Create! Write! There is Princess Parade, both the blog and the shop. As an author, I intend to use my name, Rebecca Fyfe though, so I have started changing my user name on various sites to reflect that.

I must admit that I do use various different photos of myself, but they are all recognizable as me. It helps that I had some professional shots done by Slimming World magazine and it's photographer Paul Buller when I had a photo shoot for the magazine spread about my weight losss story. I had some great photos taken such as these:
Rebecca Fyfe Slimming World photo shoot

Rebecca Fyfe Slimming World photo shoot2
Rebecca Fyfe Slimming World photo shoot1
 
 
As for my personal voice, I hope I am achieving that just by being honest as I write. As long as I am true to who I am, then my voice should show through. Also, I have been writing fiction for so long that I hope my voice for it has developed over time. Would I recognize my own writing if I were to read it years later? Probably.  Would someone else? I hope so.

No comments: