Monday, February 20, 2012

Join the Chapter Book Challenge 2012!

Chapter Book Challenge


Those of you who have been following this blog know that I have been joining challenges and submitting my writing to competitions quite often lately. The most recent challenges I have joined are the 12 x 12 in 2012 challenge and the Picture Book Marathon. Well, I am adding to that list now, and I want you to come and join me.

As you already know, I am currently working on three different YA paranormal novels,  and many children's picture books. There is another type of book that I have been wanting to try my hand at, in part, because I have children who are the right age for this type of reading - the children's chapter book.

Yes, I know and have read about what a difficult market it is to break into, but I don't really care about how difficult it is to be successful at writing and publishing a chapter book. I just want to write one of the chapter books that have been sitting in my mind whispering "write me" whenever I have a quiet moment.

During NaNoWriMo last November, I managed to write 50,000 words in 14 days and finished with 75,180 words for the month. A chapter book uses considerably less words than that, and so I am hoping that I will not only be able to finish a complete chapter book by the end of the month, but also be able to do a serious amount of editing on it. This will also be a learning process for me as writing a chapter book is a far different process tha writing a novel for an older teen or adult.

And that, in a nutshell is what the Chapter Book Challenge is all about. The goal is to write a complete chapter book in the month of March, starting on March 1st and finishing on March 31st.  I am running this challenge, but be kind to me as I have never run one of these before. I already have some prizes ready to be awarded during the challenge, and will be setting up the terms for being in the running to win the prizes soon.

I've even lined up a published children's chapter book author for a guest post/interview on the Chapter book Challenge blog. I am working on getting guest posts and interviews from more professionals in the industry to help all of us along during this challenge.

I would love for you to sign up for the challenge. The official sign-up form can be found here. (You need to be signed up through the official form in order to be eligible for the prizes.) You can also sign up for the Chapter Book Challenge Facebook page where I will post useful links as I come across them and our Chapter Book Challenge Facebook group where we can all help each other out with ideas, tips and general conversation about our chapter books.

Now that you know about the challenge, I dare you to join us! You won't regret it!

If you are a published chapter book author already or an agent who deals in chapter books or has in the past dealt with them, then I am asking you to please join us and offer your help with a guest post and/or interview.

11 comments:

Kate said...

What a fun idea. I'm in the middle of writing another project, but I just might have to make time for another WIP. I guess I have a couple of weeks to decide.

Hannah Holt said...

Whew! So many writing challenges, so little time. I look forward to hearing about your progress, but I'll have to live vicariously through you on this one. :)

SM Johnson said...

(Psst, Moonduster - I blogged about your nominee, Damon from Vampire Diaries, so I owe you a book. Email me to collect. devante9901 at aol dot com).

~SM Johnson

Vivian Kirkfield said...

Hi Rebecca,
I just met you today when I tead Julie Hedlund's blog where you were guest posting. I wanted to come and say hi on your blog. I won't be joining your chapter Book Challenge...too many projects already on my plate...and I don't write chapter books (yet)...but best of luck to you and all who participate!

Becky Fyfe said...

I hope you manage to fit us in! :)

Becky Fyfe said...

Hannah, thanks for taking the time to stop by. :)

Becky Fyfe said...

SM Johnson - Yay! I love winning stuff! I sent you the e-mail!

Becky Fyfe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks for stopping by, Vivian! :)

Louise Nottingham said...

Thank you for doing this!! I am still a couple of picture book manuscripts away from beginning my readiness for MARCH!!! my plan is to try to come up with a plot and outline before March 1st - or at the very least w/n the first few days of march!
I AM EXCITED!

Becky Fyfe said...

Louise, so glad you'll be joining us! :)