Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Valentine's Day Chance (Short Poem)

My friend Susanna Leonard Hill from the 12 x 12 in 2012 picture book challenge has started a little contest on her blog. In it, she gives us:
A children's story, poetry or prose, maximum 200 words, about unlikely Valentines, posted on your blog (or in the comment section of mine) between Saturday February 11 and Monday February 13 at 5 PM EST. Add your entry-specific link to the link list on my blog so we can all come read your entries! There will be no new post on Monday so the link list will stay up. Instead, I will have a hitherto unheard of Tuesday post to celebrate Valentines Day, and that post will list 3 finalists (or possibly a couple more - you know how bad I am at choosing :)) for you all to vote on. The winner will be announced on Friday February 17 and will receive his/her choice of a copy of Ann Whitford Paul's Writing Picture Books: A Hands-On Guide From Story Creation To Publication or a picture book ms critique from yours truly.
So I whipped up this short poem as my entry. I used to be better at writing rhyming poems, but I am out of practice, and today my brain is also a little bit fried as I am just getting over the flu. But nevertheless, I hope you enjoy this brief entry. It was inspired my animal-loving daughter Isabella.
A Valentine’s Day Chance
It was almost Valentine’s Day,
A day meant for love and romance.
But poor Isabella had no one at all
To partner with for the Valentine’s dance.
Isabella felt alone and sad.
She really felt down and blue.
She would have continued feeling this way
If she hadn’t thought of something to do.
Who was it that she trusted the most?
Who was it that she loved most of all?
Who was it that she liked to be with?
Who could she dance with at the ball?
There was only one being on this Earth,
With whom Bella decided was of worth.
So Isabella made her way to the dance
With her most beloved of friends,
Her adorable puppy named Chance.

28 comments:

Catherine Johnson said...

That's lovely! I can't believe how many blogs you have. How wonderful that you are into fitness now, I hope your enthusiasm rubs off on me I'm the other way around lol. Used to be super fit, now too long sat at the computer.

Renee LaTulippe said...

Aw. A lesson to us all that all the love we need is probably right under our noses! But I wonder - did the pup wear a tux? :)

Cathy Mealey said...

Oh how nice! I bet everyone at the ball wanted to take a turn to dance with Chance! A puppy can be the best partner of all. Thanks for sharing your sweet poem!

Hannah Holt said...

Awww. Sweet Valentine's Day poem.

Becky Fyfe said...

I already know how to lengthen this to a more full version of a story-poem than it currently is, but I'm just too out-of-it today to do more work on it. Still not quite over this blasted flu.

Penny Parker Klostermann said...

Very cute. So sorry that you're under the weather. I hope you feel better soon.

Tracy MacDonald said...

This is adorable and beats any rhyming I do, except the ones that come out by accident! Nice entry.

Becky Fyfe said...

I went back and finished it anyway, but it was too long by 20 words, so I left the original submission as is.

Becky Fyfe said...

Aw! thanks, Tracy!

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks, Penny. I am on the mend today, so I'll hopefully feel more myself by tomorrow.

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks, Hannah. :)

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks,Cathy! My Isabella would have been over the moon if I'd let her take our dog to a school dance! lol! His name is actually Mercury, but I was not in the mood to try and rhyme the name Mercury! lol!

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks, Renee and lol! Have you ever tried getting a dog into a tux?! ;)

Becky Fyfe said...

Catherine, thanks, but I only keep up regularly with a few of the blogs, less regularly with a few more of them and so on down the line. Some of them are, also, my children's blogs, which I monitor and post for them, so they frequently nag me into adding stuff to their blogs for them. It was my idea for them to channel their creativity this way in order for them to share some of themsleves with my family who live so far away, so it is the least I can do to help them with it.

And I used to ignore my fitness too, until it became a health problem for me. If you go to http://www.facebook.com/skinnydremaing, you can see some of my before and after photos. I've always wanted to write, but until I managed to lose a seemingly insurmountable amount of weight, I didn't believe in myself enough to risk it. Now I know I can achieve amazing things. :)

Vivian Kirkfield said...

What fun! Isabella definitely knows her partner will be loyal to her and be happy to accompany her home. :)
Read your "about" info...hats off to you for your wonderful goals! We will all cheer you on. :)

Vivian Kirkfield said...

Thought I had already commented...but I guess not...maybe I replied to your comment on my post. :)
Great poem...very cute idea...I'm sure the loyal dog was a great partner...and definitely followed her home. :)

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks, Vivian!

Becky Fyfe said...

Vivian, you DID already comment. I have to approve comments, and, since I'm in the UK, I am in a different time zone than you, so it took longer to approve than it otherwise would have. (I was asleep.)

Becky Fyfe said...

Vivian, you DID already comment. I have to approve comments, and, since I'm in the UK, I am in a different time zone than you, so it took longer to approve than it otherwise would have. (I was asleep.)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books said...

This is very cute! Of course her puppy is her best friend...but can he dance (hee hee). I like your rhyme!!

Becky Fyfe said...

Thanks! lol! He THINKS he can!

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

Aww, so sweet! I bet everyone wanted to dance with Chance :) And i have to say, I am impressed that you managed to do this on the spur of the moment with 7 kids and just getting over the flu! you are a super-woman! :) Thanks so much for joining in the contest!

Rebecca Colby said...

This is so sweet! I love how Isabella asks herself all the important questions first to come to her decision. Just lovely!

Unknown said...

That was sweet, thanks for sharing with us!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

I've been tardy in following the 12x blogs. So I followed your Blogger profile. You have lots of blogs. I returned to Susanna's and found your entry. A very fun poem. I can't wait to read your full-strength poems. Hope you continue to recover.

Becky Fyfe said...

Aw, thanks Stacy! I have a bunch of blogs. You didn't have to follow them all but I appreciate the thought! (((hug)))

Heather said...

This is very, very sweet story! Thank you for sharing it.

Ben said...

I like that poem! Good job!