It's time for the 12 x 12 in 2012 blog party! I can't think of anything fun and witty to write the way that my fellow 12 x 12 blog party compatriots have, but I still wanted to have my say about what a great time I've had participating in the 12 x 12 challenge this year.
If you didn't take part in the challenge, you have missed out. I have gained so many benefits from participating.
1. I learned a ton of things about writing picture books that I didn't know before. I'm putting this as number one because I really did learn so much, and it has all really helped me to progress on my journey to become a published picture book author.
2. I gained a picture book critique group and had some critiques done on a couple of my picture book manuscripts.
3. I gained contacts with people in the picture book industry: agents, publishers and editors.
4. I met other picture book authors, both published and aspiring, who are willing to cheer me on (while I cheer them on). I ca not stress enough how wonderful and helpful everyone in the 12 x 12 community is with each other.
5. I started the Chapter Book Challenge. Yes, the challenge came to me partially as a result of my doing the 12 x 12 challenge. I love doing the month-long challenge of NaNoWriMo and I really enjoyed doing the year-long challenge of 12 x 12, so I decided that I would like to do something that fit somewhere as a middle-road to the two challenges, and I came up with the Chapter Book Challenge. (It was also a result of my having some ideas for chapter books to write with my children in mind.)
6. I gained helpful links for writers of picture books.
7. I won a free book trailer design by Carter Higgins. And it will last for as long as it takes me to get my book ready. (And she has created some wonderful book trailers for other authors.)
8. I've gained the belief that I can succeed at writing picture books and the courage to keep trying until my book is published.
If you feel the burning need to write picture books and want to learn more about how and what to do with them once you've written them, I highly recommend joining the 12 x 12 challenge in 2013.