Saturday, November 27, 2010

NaNoWriMo 2010 WINNER!!!!

Photobucket


I did it! For the second year in a row, I have completed NaNoWriMo, and ahead of schedule! I will still see how much more writing I can complete between now and the 30th, but it feels great to have already reached the 50,000 word count requirement to win!

As of today, I am officially at 50,030 words written of my novel. I wrote more today than during any other day this month. Today, I wrote 6,316 words!

Even though I won this last year too, I found this year that there was still more to learn from this process.

The bnovel I was writing last year, Through the Veil, was set aside after National Novel Writing Month ended, and I haven't written any more of it or edited it since then. I started a new novel for this year's efforts. I struggled more with this one. Don't get me wrong; I still managed to get the word count. But I feel as though last year's novel flowed more easily from me, and I enjoyed writing it more.

I think, when I go back to edit, there will be a lot about last year's novel that I will keep, and the editing I do will be more the type to keep it consistent with how the characters behave according to their natures and filling in some blanks. There were things I foreshadowed or left clues about that never came to be later in the novel, so I will need to go back and take a look at all of that.

There will be very little, except for the story idea, the characters and the plot, that I keep from this year's novel, Dream Walker. The writing will mostly have to be completely rewritten. But that's okay. Before I started this one, I didn't have a plot. I didn't have any characters but the main one, and even she didn't have name. So writing this novel for this year's NaNoWriMo has given me the outline and the bones of a story to work on later. It's much more than I began with. (The irony is that this one is actually intended to be the second in a series.)

I hope all of my friends who are participating in NaNoWriMo this month, whether they are reaching 50,000 words or not, are learning something from it, either about the process and their capabilities, or about the novels themselves.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice blog! Congartulatoons! A writer could learn a lot from it! Hope you've never had such a bad experience like me, with a "literary agent" who would do nothing else but to charge you for "editing" of your manuscript and do nothing to find a publisher or actually edit your work? Jillanne Kimble is such a person, don't let yourself/ves be deceived by her or anyone else like her! Keep the good work going! LET THE WONDERFUL NOISE OF THE SEA ALWAYS SOUNDS IN YOUR EARS! (a greeting of the water dragons' hunters - my Tale Of The Rock Pieces).