Thursday, July 17, 2014

Stories and How They Affect Us - Writers Reveal - July 2014


Today's Writers Reveal topic is "The story that changed my life" and was suggested by J.C. Wolfe.

The problem I have with this topic is that I can't think of any particular story that changed my life.  So instead, I thought I might write about stories in general and how they affect us.

Stories can be good for an escape from your day to day life. They can whisk you away to different places, different times and different worlds. They can introduce you to new people. Through stories, you can experience, love, tragedy, passion, adventure, mystery and danger, all vicariously from the safety of your own home.

Everyone has a story to tell. Everyone has experienced different things throughout their life and it is an amalgamation of those experiences and emotions, with a large dose of creativity and imagination,  that make up the variety of stories and characters we read about.

I am a wife. I am an American living in England. I am a mom to seven children. I have been morbidly obese and have lost over 145 pounds to reach a healthy weight. I was an outgoing, confident child who gradually became more insecure and more introverted as I aged until I reached a certain point in my life where my self-confidence and belief in myself slowly began to return. I am a cat owner and a dog owner. I am a writer. I blog. I run a yearly writing challenge. I always look for the good in people. All of these things, and the journey I have taken to get where I am, are a part of my personal story. Like any great story, the bits and parts that seem disconnected when looked at separately, are woven and intertwined so that they all come together to make a completed whole.

What's your story?


*****

Find the Writer's Reveal topic covered in other Writer's Reveal blog posts at these blogs:


No comments: